Education and life skills development: these elements have long been a cornerstone of the programs and services offered by Mercy Haven. REAP classes and events help residents express
themselves, connect with their communities, and earn valuable experience.
R.E.A.P offerings include:
- Financial Education workshops that cover budgeting, debt management and other critical financial skills. These workshops are offered in partnership with local banks such as
Citi and Capital One.
- Nutrition and cooking classes offered in partnership with Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County. Classes have focused on healthy food choices, food handling and
safety, budgeting and shopping, and menu-planning.
- Computer Classes focus on helping participants master word processing skills with the goal of creating resume and using the internet to search for employment. Classes also
include opening an e-mail account, learning social networking, and creating greeting cards.
- Parenting Classes in conjucntion with Cornell Cooperative Extension have included topics like, "Help Your Child Succeed in School" and have helped Mercy Haven residents learn
skills to support their children's educational development.
- Artistic Expression offerings include classes in drawing and painting, creative and poetry writing, and other self-expression workshops. We've even hosted our "Mercy Haven's Got
Talent" show for residents.
- Recreational Activities like holiday parties, movie nights, and other social events allow participants to develop social
skils and have fun!
- Employment Opportunities include short-term and long-term and long-term positions with Mercy Haven.
- Health & Fitness Activities to help keep residents in good health include yoga and stretching classes and a bi-weekly walking club. A monthly Diabetes Education
workshop meets to help participants manage this condition.
Click below to download this month's REAP Calendar of Activities